Watchword for the Week:
Let the peoples praise you, O God;
let all the peoples praise you. (Psalm 67:5, NRSV)
(Moravian Daily Texts)
Bells & Prelude: Alexandre Guilmant, Two Preludes, No. 1
Opening Prayer: Psalm 67
Hymn: In Christ there is no east or west (Church Hymnary, No. 624)
Gospel Reading: Matthew 15:21-28
Reflection & Prayer: Bad Words and Good News
Choir Postlude: “I’ve got peace like a river”
Our seven-week Bible Sharing series on Parables in Matthew’s Gospel begins this week. The Bible Sharing method requires no previous knowledge, and is suitable for all ages.
The ‘garden group’ starts today and meets on Sundays at 11:30 a.m. in the Alsenstraße. The group will watch the worship toolkit together, then proceed to the Bible study. If you wish to take part, please contact Sebastian Stüwe on 0176 76496321 or sebastian.stuewe(at)gmail.com
The ‘online group’ meets on Tuesday 11 August at 7:00 p.m. using video software. Contact Pastor Jimmy on 0234 13365 or j.brown56(at)gmx.de, who will send you a link to join the group session.
Gathered Worship: The German Presbyterium’s working group met on Monday 3 August and agreed to permit gathered worship in the Pauluskirche after the school holidays. The maximum number of worshippers is 36, and the Church Council is working on means to implement the necessary hygiene measures. While these plans are being drawn up, the church remains open from Tuesday to Friday between 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. and on Sundays from 10 a.m. till noon for individual and private prayer. Please observe standard precautions such as physical distancing, etc. when you enter the building.
Online worship and spiritualityresources are provided by various local and international churches. Click on the highlighted words to open these sites:
- Sanctuary First (Church of Scotland) daily worship, prayers, pastoral guidance
- Daily Devotional (United Church of Christ, USA) reflections on short Bible texts, usually ending with a one-sentence prayer
- Prayer Matters (International Presbytery) prayers, meditations, reflections and artwork
- Prayer Cycle (World Council of Churches) ecumenical prayer resources focussing this week on Liberia and Sierra Leone
- Kraft der Musik (Evangelische Kirchengemeinde) weekly trumpet solos with short reflections (in German)
- Kraft der Worte (Evangelische Kirchengemeinde) short meditative texts and poetry (in German)
Our weekly offerings during worship have always been our congregation’s main source of income, but the corona crisis has dramatically affected this regular source of income. If you are able to, you are invited to consider making donations by bank transfer in order that the ECC may continue to cover ongoing costs. Bank account details are shown below.
Bank Account “Englische Gemeinde”
IBAN: DE89 4305 0001 0001 4132 36